    SubjectRe: 2.6.{26.2,27-rc} oops on virtualbox
    On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 07:33:28PM -0400, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:

    > We could try to add some nsleep() or msleep() calls within text_poke and
    > text_poke_early before and after the code modificatoin to see if the
    > problem disappears. If it does, then that would somewhat confirm the
    > racy irq disable thesis.

    nsleep isn't known here as a function, only references i found is maybe
    in posix-timers.c.

    msleep() is known, but each time i add for ex.
    msleep(100);
    in any place in text_poke and/or text_poke_early it get a kernel panic
    on boot. Here's a screenie:
    http://users.archlinux.de/~gerbra/tmp/2008-08-28-132337_724x456_scrot.png

    I also tried to work with the isolated changes we have last made, but it
    seems that only the 3 changes together work.
    Also i tried to went back to older versions of alternatives.c referenced
    in:
    http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.26.y.git;a=history;f=arch/x86/kernel/alternative.c;h=65c7857a90ddfc6ff084c6817baba045ced0ad71;hb=v2.6.26

    But with my few knowledges i ran in too many errors.

    So, have you any further ideas, code that i/we could test?
    Or - i'm naive - are the "3 changes" we made ready to go in the kernel
    without to harm something real important than virtualbox?

    > Mathieu

    Gerhard

      Last update: 2008-08-28 15:53    [W:2.504 / U:0.144 seconds]