    SubjectRe: pull request: wireless-2.6 2008-08-26
    On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 13:05 +0300, Tomas Winkler wrote:

    > There is a central problem here, since I cannot really adjust driver
    > development progress from obvious reason with Linux merging window.
    > Upstream kernel is unfortunately not the only customer I report to. So
    > actually stable versions got half backed drivers depending on some
    > arbitrary time cut from my (selfish) development point of view.

    FWIW, many people including myself think you should work the other way
    around, that is develop things in the mainline/wireless-testing tree
    rather than developing a stable version internally and then dumping a
    big pile of patches whenever it's convenient for you. IOW, we think you
    should use Linux upstream as your development tree and then branch off
    of that for the internal stabilisation trees you need for other
    customers, rather than having some sort of internal development tree and
    branching out Linux upstream as you appear to work.

    That would also avoid the nasty surprises you've gotten a few times
    where other people managed to get patches to iwlwifi drivers into the
    Linux tree without you noticing.

      Last update: 2008-08-27 12:13    [W:0.065 / U:2.728 seconds]