SubjectRe: [Bug #11342] Linux 2.6.27-rc3: kernel BUG at mm/vmalloc.c - bisected

* Christoph Lameter <cl@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> Alan D. Brunelle wrote:
>
> > I think you're right: the kernel as a whole may not be ready for 4,096
> > CPUs apparently...
>
> Mike has been working diligently on getting all these cpumasks off the
> stack for the last months and has created an infrastructure to do
> this. So I think we are close. It might just be a matter of merging
> some more patches that are still left in Ingo's tree.

hm, there are no such patches left that i know of - the only bits in
-tip are the zero-based percpu, which was found to be a bit fragile in
testing:

earth4:~/tip> git-log-line --author=Travis linus..
d379497: Zero based percpu: infrastructure to rebase the per cpu area to zero
b3a0cb4: x86: extend percpu ops to 64 bit

[and it has no relevance to stack footprint.]

So i dont think the current cpumask_t approach will work. We simply
should not get into an endless fight against the windmills that
introduce on-stack cpumask_t again and again. We should just take the
plunge once and do a clean alloc/free cpumask model. Most of the hotpath
cpumasks are constant or pre-constructed, so they are not a real issue.

Plus, on the general question of stack footprint problems and the
difficulty of debugging them, the worst-case stack footprint tracer i
wrote for -rt some time ago should be dusted off as well and put into
ftrace. David has something quite close to that for Sparc64 already.

Ingo

  Last update: 2008-08-26 10:03    [W:0.157 / U:3.052 seconds]