SubjectRe: Compiling the kernel with VMware
Date
Ben Nizette wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 23:02 -0500, Alex Zajac wrote:
>> Hello,
>> Currently, I wanted to begin work on the kernel, and as such, I need a
>> way to compile it. All I have available to me is my XP Home computer
>> (and I lack funds to buy another, so please do not just say, "get a
>> Linux comp"). The specs are as follows:
>> 1.4 Ghz Single-core processor
>> 384 MB RAM
>> 20 GB hard drive (5.5 GB free right now)
>>
>> Now, is there a way to compile the kernel using VMware Player? If so,
>> what image would be the best to boot and use? Also, exactly what would
>> I have to do to set up VMware and the image so that I could compile?

Don't. It's much more useful having linux run on the bare metal - so you
can test real drivers etc. Grab the Ubuntu Wubi installer, which allows
you to install Ubuntu linux "as just another application under windows"
(paraphrased). It will live in a file on your windows filesystem; you will
have to reserve a set amount of space in advance. Other than that it'll be
a classic dual-boot system.

Alan

  Last update: 2008-08-22 11:21    [W:0.042 / U:0.068 seconds]