SubjectRe: [discuss] memrlimit - potential applications that can use
On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 15:56:41 +0530
Balbir Singh <balbir@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki wrote:

> >> No, you've been offered several, including php and apache that use memory limits.

> > I'm sorry I miss the point. My concern on memrlimit (for overcommiting) is that
> > it's not fair because an application which get -ENOMEM at mmap() is just someone
> > unlucky.
>
> It can happen today with overcommit turned on. Why is it unlucky?

Today's overcommit is also unlucky ;)

For example) process A and B is under a memrlimit.
process A no memory leak, it often calls malloc() and free().
process B does memory leak, 100MB per night.

process A cannot do anything when it notices malloc() returns NULL.
It controls his memory usage perfectly. He is unlucky and will die.
process B can use up VSZ which is freed by process A.

(OOM-killer, is disliked by everyone, have some kind of fairness.
It checks usage.)

> I think it's better to trigger some notifier to application or daemon
> > rather than return -ENOMEM at mmap(). Notification like "Oh, it seems the VSZ
> > of total application exceeds the limit you set. Although you can continue your
> > operation, it's recommended that you should fix up the situation".
> > will be good.
> >

> So you are suggesting that when we are running out of memory (as defined by our
> current resource constraints), we don't return -ENOMEM, but instead we now
> handle a new event that states that we are running out of memory?

Not "running out of memory" Just "VSZ is over the limit you set/expected".

My point is an application witch can handle NULL returned by malloc() is
not very popular, I think.

Sorry for noise.

Thanks,
-Kame