    SubjectRe: [malware-list] scanner interface proposal was: [TALPA] Intro to a linux interface for on access scanning
    On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 00:40 +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
    > Hi!

    > > itself
    > > security
    > > scheme
    > > >
    > > > I have one word for you --- bittorrent. If you are downloading a very
    > > > large torrent (say approximately a gigabyte), and it contains many
    > > > pdf's that are say a few megabytes a piece, and things are coming in
    > > > tribbles, having either a indexing scanner or an AV scanner wake up
    > > > and rescan the file from scratch each time a tiny piece of the pdf
    > > > comes in is going to eat your machine alive....
    > >
    > > Huh? I was never advocating re-scan after each modification and I even
    > > explicitly said it does not make sense for AV not only for performance but
    > > because it will be useless most of the time. I thought sending out
    > > modified notification on close makes sense because it is a natural point,
    > > unless someone is trying to subvert which is out of scope. Other
    > > have
    >
    > Why do you think non-malicious applications won't write after close /
    > keep file open forever?

    If you ask this one more time without reading the many times I've
    answered these questions I think I'm going to explode.

    Permissions checks are done on open/read. Decisions are invalidated at
    mtime update, which INCLUDES mmap after close! I don't care if you keep
    your file open forever, if you wrote to it, we are just going to scan it
    next time a process decided to open/read it. Please stop confusing this
    already long and almost pointless thread with implementation details
    that have repeatedly been explained.

    -Eric

      Last update: 2008-08-19 01:11    [W:0.020 / U:3.192 seconds]