SubjectRe: [patch 2/2] reduce tlb/cache flush times of agpgart memory allocation
Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Li, Shaohua <shaohua.li@intel.com> wrote:
>
>>> it would be great if you had time to update his patch and this to
>>> it...
>> I'll do it soon.
>
> great! Please do it as a delta patch against tip/master:
>
> http://people.redhat.com/mingo/tip.git/README
>
> as your first two patches are being tested already:
>
> 466ae83: reduce tlb/cache flush times of agpgart memory allocation
> 1ac2f7d: introduce two APIs for page attribute
>
> [ but it can all only go upstream once the observations from Arjan have
> been addressed. ]
>
>>> and the logic probably should be "if there's more than X pags in the
>>> the array, just use wbinvd". Although wbinvd is very painful if you
>>> have 12Mb of cache and you wipe it for all cores in the system ;-(
>> This might not be that bad, changing attribute isn't frequently used.
>
> dont some X/DRM drivers do it for a wide range of GX ops?

I think so... at least it's likely to become more common.
Realistically, it means WBINVD, being uninterruptible, is probably
unsafe even for very large amounts.

-hpa

  Last update: 2008-08-18 19:29    [W:0.067 / U:0.156 seconds]