    SubjectRe: [patch 1/3] kmsg: Kernel message catalog macros.
    On Wed, 13 Aug 2008, Rusty Russell wrote:
    > Can you hash the format string to generate the id? 6 hex digits should be
    > enough, and your tool can check for clashes. As it's bad form to have
    > identical strings for different semantics anyway, this seems to make sense.

    I second this suggestion (or propose something like it).
    A short hash or even an index into some off-line table
    lets the user hit the right page when looking for an explanation.

    I've been using a similar (and perhaps ugly to some eyes)
    numeric message catalog for years (with token substitution and all).
    The catalogs can be translated and then replaced with local language
    so the users don't have to learn English (or French, or German,
    or Japanese, or Chinese).

    -- R; <><

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-08-15 22:45    [W:0.033 / U:41.712 seconds]