    Subjectcan block drivers get non-fs requests?
    Hi Jens,

    There is one part of the block layer I'm having trouble completely
    understanding (well there are loads really, but right now there's one in
    particular :)):

    Do block drivers need to watch out for requests that aren't "normal"
    reads and writes? The MMC block driver has a funky prepare function
    that checks for FS and PC requests and discards anything else. I
    believe this is wrong in two regards:

    a) PC requests seem to be prepared SCSI cmds, and the MMC driver just
    expects normal transfer requests. Therefore, such requests should not
    be accepted by this driver.

    b) The block layer won't throw weird stuff at us unless explicitly told
    so. I.e. a normal block queue will only produce normal FS requests.

    Please educate the masses. :)

    (I've cc:d Alex as he copied the MMC block driver for the MemoryStick
    code, so he's probably also interested in this)

    Rgds

    --
    -- Pierre Ossman

    Linux kernel, MMC maintainer http://www.kernel.org
    rdesktop, core developer http://www.rdesktop.org

    WARNING: This correspondence is being monitored by the
    Swedish government. Make sure your server uses encryption
    for SMTP traffic and consider using PGP for end-to-end
    encryption.

      Last update: 2008-08-14 13:41    [W:0.078 / U:59.888 seconds]