    SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] binfmt_som.c: add MODULE_LICENSE
    On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 12:56:43PM -0400, John David Anglin wrote:
    > > The toplevel COPYING file of the kernel sources contains the exact
    > > licence text for all files (including binfmt_som.c) in the kernel.
    >
    > The COPYING file contains the license text but it doesn't say clearly
    > what the license applies to. The closest thing to this is the statement
    >
    > Also note that the GPL below is copyrighted by the Free Software
    > Foundation, but the instance of code that it refers to (the Linux
    > kernel) is copyrighted by me and others who actually wrote it.
    >
    > in the COPYING file. The applicability of the GPL is parenthetical.
    > The HOWTO file is more specific, but a clear license statement at the
    > top level of the "source" tree is missing.

    There's a file named COPYING at the top level, and a file named README
    at the top level that says:

    WHAT IS LINUX?
    It is distributed under the GNU General Public License - see the
    accompanying COPYING file for more details.

    The GPLv2 licence on the Linux kernel is generally agreed upon
    (whether one likes it or not is a different question, but all
    contributors are aware that it applies) and has even been successfully
    enforced at court, which makes your attempts of finding a way to
    possibly interpret it differently kinda strange.

    > Dave

    cu
    Adrian

    "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
    Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

      Last update: 2008-08-11 20:47    [W:4.886 / U:0.008 seconds]