SubjectRe: cpufreq doesn't seem to work in Intel Q9300
On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 04:22:44AM -0700, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 21:44:50 -0700
> "S K" <nospamnoham@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > But it is very strange that cpufreq scaling can work on Windows XP.
> > > Will you please try the P4 clock cpufreq driver and see whether the
> > > scaling can work ? In fact P4 clock cpufreq driver is already
> > > replaced by acpi_cpufreq driver for the latest cpu.
> > > Anyway please try p4 clock cpufreq driver.
> >
> > What is the name of the driver? I'm not able to find any such driver
> > in Fedora 9 installed modules. There is only acpi-cpufreq and
> > powernow-k8.
>
> yeah don't bother with p4-clockmod, it's not something that saves you
> energy... it only gives you a fake feeling that you would.

This statement is only true for HPC environments and when you measure
Watts per work done.

But if you have some desktop or server with a load that is determined by
when it gets used, then p4-clockmod can actually save energy when the
computer is not under high load or even idle.

Or do I miss anything?

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

  Last update: 2008-08-11 16:07    [W:0.105 / U:0.216 seconds]