    SubjectRe: amd64 sata_nv (massive) memory corruption
    2008/8/1 John Stoffel <>:

    > Linas> -- system is amd64 dual core, ASUS M2N-E mobo, 4GB RAM
    > Linas> Northbridge is nVidia Corporation MCP55 Memory Controller
    > Linas> (rev a3)
    > Are you running the latest BIOS? As I recall, my motherboard is an
    > M2N-SLI Deluxe, which is slightly different from yours.

    Its recent. I bought the thing only some number of months ago.
    The basic mobo design is 2-3 years old, though, its not bleeding edge,
    it was meant to be a conservative, stable, functional choice.
    I'd hope that they'd have things like this debugged by now. Sigh.

    > Linas> Also of note:
    > Linas> -- problem was observed earlier, when system had 3GB RAM in it.
    > What did you do to upgrade to 4gb of ram? Just pull the second pair
    > of 512mb DIMMs and put in fresh 1gb DIMMs? I've got a pair of 2gb
    > DIMMs in my box. I suspect you are seeing memory problems of some
    > sort.

    No See other email. memtest86 passes fine, the system has been in
    heavy use as a compute server on large datasets. No problems at all,
    spotless record. I've beeb manipulating multi-gigabyte files just fine
    on the IDE disk, without any corruption at all. I can move them
    around on NFS, too. They only get corrupted in the SATA disk,
    where its immediate and widespread, and takes less than a minute
    to occur.

    > Next, I'd upgraded the BIOS to the latest release, and then reset the
    > BIOS to the factory default or safe settings to see if that helps.

    I'll give tht a whirl. Bios settings are still at factory defaults, I had no
    reason to mess with them.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-08-02 05:09    [W:0.020 / U:17.468 seconds]