SubjectRe: 2.6.27-rc1: strange fstab issue (Re: 2.6.27-rc1 + selinux new options = no httpd)
On Friday 01 August 2008, Eric Paris wrote:
>On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 09:39 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Thursday 31 July 2008, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
>> Update by Gene below.

>> >On a possibly related note, I've been observing a strange issue on one of
>> >my test boxes with OpenSUSE 10.3 recently. Namely, the fsck complains
>> >that there's no passno value in the fstab, although it obviously is
>> > present.
>> >
>> >Strangely enough, if the kernel is compiled with CONFIG_SECURITY_SELINUX
>> > unset, the fsck doesn't complain about the missing passno field any
>> > more.
>> >
>> >Thanks,
>> >Rafael
>>
>> I just did a 2.6.27-rc1 rebuild on a pure, all defaults 'make oldconfig'
>> from my 2.6.26 final .config moved to that src tree.
>>
>> httpd is still being denied access to its log files and dies during the
>> bootup.
>>
>> This is a showstopper for me.
>
>Stephen Smalley just sent me a private note. Apparently he is having
>e-mail trouble but he did point out the most likely problem. Can you
>add the patch from
>
>http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=121726661110266&w=2

Bingo!
The first version there was off about 10 line numbers so I just added the "|
MAY_APPEND", as the second version shows and that was it. Thanks.

>And give it a whirl? Sorry, but we think the problem is that the VFS
>stopped passing all of the relevant information down to the security
>system. https is only allowed to append to its log files, not actually
>'write.' Since the VFS is longer differentiating those two operations
>you are getting then denial for write.
>
>I'll try to get this pushed into linus's tree quickly.

Looks like its a good to go fix from this angle. Thanks Eric.
You could even put a tested by: Gene Heskett in it I suppose. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

  Last update: 2008-08-01 16:17    [W:0.923 / U:0.028 seconds]