SubjectRe: [RFC 00/15] x86_64: Optimize percpu accesses

* Mike Travis <travis@sgi.com> wrote:

> > This fragility makes me very nervous. It seems hard enough to get
> > this stuff working with current tools; making it work over the whole
> > range of supported tools looks like its going to be hard.
>
> (me too ;-)
>
> Once I get a solid version working with (at least) gcc-4.2.4, then
> regression testing with older tools will be easier, or at least a
> table of results can be produced.

the problem is, we cannot just put it even into tip/master if there's no
short-term hope of fixing a problem it triggers. gcc-4.2.3 is solid for
me otherwise, for series of thousands of randomly built kernels.

can we just leave out the zero-based percpu stuff safely and could i
test the rest of your series - or are there dependencies? I think
zero-based percpu, while nice in theory, is probably just a very small
positive effect so it's not a life or death issue. (or is there any
deeper, semantic reason why we'd want it?)

Ingo

  Last update: 2008-07-09 21:37    [W:0.404 / U:0.132 seconds]