    SubjectRe: [RFC 00/15] x86_64: Optimize percpu accesses

    * Mike Travis <travis@sgi.com> wrote:

    > > This fragility makes me very nervous. It seems hard enough to get
    > > this stuff working with current tools; making it work over the whole
    > > range of supported tools looks like its going to be hard.
    >
    > (me too ;-)
    >
    > Once I get a solid version working with (at least) gcc-4.2.4, then
    > regression testing with older tools will be easier, or at least a
    > table of results can be produced.

    the problem is, we cannot just put it even into tip/master if there's no
    short-term hope of fixing a problem it triggers. gcc-4.2.3 is solid for
    me otherwise, for series of thousands of randomly built kernels.

    can we just leave out the zero-based percpu stuff safely and could i
    test the rest of your series - or are there dependencies? I think
    zero-based percpu, while nice in theory, is probably just a very small
    positive effect so it's not a life or death issue. (or is there any
    deeper, semantic reason why we'd want it?)

    Ingo

      Last update: 2008-07-09 21:37    [W:0.023 / U:121.052 seconds]