    SubjectRe: [RFC 00/15] x86_64: Optimize percpu accesses
    Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
    > H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    >> Did the suspected linker bug issue ever get resolved?
    >
    > I don't believe so. I think Mike is getting very early crashes
    > depending on some combination of gcc, linker and kernel config. Or
    > something.

    Yes and unfortunately since SGI does not do it's own compilers any
    more (they were MIPS compilers), there's no one here that really
    understands the internals of the compile tools.

    > This fragility makes me very nervous. It seems hard enough to get this
    > stuff working with current tools; making it work over the whole range of
    > supported tools looks like its going to be hard.

    (me too ;-)

    Once I get a solid version working with (at least) gcc-4.2.4, then
    regression testing with older tools will be easier, or at least a
    table of results can be produced.

    Thanks,
    Mike

      Last update: 2008-07-09 20:11    [W:0.043 / U:29.376 seconds]