lkml.org 
[lkml]   [2008]   [Jul]   [9]   [last100]   RSS Feed
Views: [wrap][no wrap]   [headers]  [forward] 
 
Messages in this thread
/
Date
From
SubjectRe: [RFC 00/15] x86_64: Optimize percpu accesses
Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> Mike Travis wrote:
>> This patchset provides the following:
>>
>> * Cleanup: Fix early references to cpumask_of_cpu(0)
>>
>> Provides an early cpumask_of_cpu(0) usable before the
>> cpumask_of_cpu_map
>> is allocated and initialized.
>>
>> * Generic: Percpu infrastructure to rebase the per cpu area to zero
>>
>> This provides for the capability of accessing the percpu variables
>> using a local register instead of having to go through a table
>> on node 0 to find the cpu-specific offsets. It also would allow
>> atomic operations on percpu variables to reduce required locking.
>> Uses a new config var HAVE_ZERO_BASED_PER_CPU to indicate to the
>> generic code that the arch has this new basing.
>>
>> (Note: split into two patches, one to rebase percpu variables at 0,
>> and the second to actually use %gs as the base for percpu variables.)
>>
>> * x86_64: Fold pda into per cpu area
>>
>> Declare the pda as a per cpu variable. This will move the pda
>> area to an address accessible by the x86_64 per cpu macros.
>> Subtraction of __per_cpu_start will make the offset based from
>> the beginning of the per cpu area. Since %gs is pointing to the
>> pda, it will then also point to the per cpu variables and can be
>> accessed thusly:
>>
>> %gs:[&per_cpu_xxxx - __per_cpu_start]
>>
>> * x86_64: Rebase per cpu variables to zero
>>
>> Take advantage of the zero-based per cpu area provided above.
>> Then we can directly use the x86_32 percpu operations. x86_32
>> offsets %fs by __per_cpu_start. x86_64 has %gs pointing directly
>> to the pda and the per cpu area thereby allowing access to the
>> pda with the x86_64 pda operations and access to the per cpu
>> variables using x86_32 percpu operations.
>
> The bulk of this series is pda_X to x86_X_percpu conversion. This seems
> like pointless churn to me; there's nothing inherently wrong with the
> pda_X interfaces, and doing this transformation doesn't get us any
> closer to unifying 32 and 64 bit.
>
> I think we should start devolving things out of the pda in the other
> direction: make a series where each patch takes a member of struct
> x8664_pda, converts it to a per-cpu variable (where possible, the same
> one that 32-bit uses), and updates all the references accordingly. When
> the pda is as empty as it can be, we can look at removing the
> pda-specific interfaces.
>
> J

I did compartmentalize the changes so they were in separate patches,
and in particular, by separating the changes to the include files, I
was able to zero in on some problems much easier.

But I have no objections to leaving the cpu_pda ops in place and then,
as you're suggesting, extract and modify the fields as appropriate.

Another approach would be to leave the changes from XXX_pda() to
x86_percpu_XXX in place, and do the patches with simply changing
pda.VAR to VAR .)

In any case I would like to get this version working first, before
attempting that rewrite, as that won't change the generated code.

Btw, while I've got your attention... ;-), there's some code in
arch/x86/xen/smp.c:xen_smp_prepare_boot_cpu() that should be looked
at closer for zero-based per_cpu__gdt_page:

make_lowmem_page_readwrite(&per_cpu__gdt_page);

(I wasn't sure how to deal with this but I suspect the __percpu_offset[]
or __per_cpu_load should be added to it.)

Thanks,
Mike


\
 
 \ /
  Last update: 2008-07-09 20:03    [W:0.365 / U:0.296 seconds]
©2003-2017 Jasper Spaans. hosted at Digital OceanAdvertise on this site