SubjectRe: semaphore: lockless fastpath using atomic_{inc,dec}_return
Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Jul 2008 16:39:43 +0100
> Bruno Santos <bsantos@av.it.pt> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> >hi,
>> >
>> >not to ruin the party but... how is this lockless? An atomic
>> >variable is every bit a "lock" as a spinlock is... and very much
>> >equally expensive as well for most cases ;-(
>>
>> Perhaps not the best the choice of words, I should have omitted the
>> word lockless. But it seems my understanding of lockless and yours is
>> different. And indeed, it's very expensive as a spinlock, but
>> comparatively, is only one operation, that if successful doesn't have
>> to lock and then unlock (that's why I called it lockless ...).
>>

> ok I only come from an Intel/x86 background, where unlock is basically
> free, and the "lock" is exactly the same cost as an atomic op.
> (in fact, an atomic op and a lock are the exact same code.. you're just
> open coding it)

From your words if we do:

spin_lock()
val = --foo;
spin_unlock();

Has the same cost than:

val = atomic_dec_return(&foo);

?

>> The mutex takes the same approach, however it uses it's own flavour
>> of atomic ops. What I'm really interested is if this brings any
>> benefit in terms of performance.
>>

> on x86... I would highly doubt it since you have the same number of
> atomic operations. (it's not the lock that is expensive. ever. it's
> always the fact that a lock implies an atomic operation that makes it
> expensive)

How come I have the same number of atomic ops?

Let's consider the fast case scenario (semaphore is unlocked for the
'down' and has no waiters for 'up') in x86:
- with the spinlock only approach we have 2 atomic ops, xadd for lock,
inc for unlock. The unlock doesn't come for free in x86 after all.
- with the approach I presented we have 1 atomic op (xadd or it could be
inc/dec if optimized)

If go the slow path things get more expensive than the spinlock only
approach: we have to lock, do some atomic ops for correctness, and unlock.

  Last update: 2008-07-09 18:59    [W:0.106 / U:0.140 seconds]