SubjectRe: HELP: Getting unexpected fakeraid behavior. Fix?
On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 5:57 AM, Joseph Fannin <jfannin@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think dmraid and mdraid *are* functionally the same. dmraid
> was written as more or less a compatibilty hack, so people using
> fakeRAID with its Windows-only software drivers could still
> dual-boot. That could have changed somewhat while I wasn't looking,
> but it doesn't sound like it has changed much.

It looks like I've been bitten by misinformation on the web.

> mdraid is still the only "real" Linux softRAID
> implementation... though LVM also does some very RAID-like things.

I''m not sure how much you would save, but it might be more compact to
combine them. Complexity/size tradeoff, I guess.

> Anyway, the consensus for a long time seems to be that, unless you
> need to dual-boot with a Windows system using fakeRAID drivers, you
> should just put the drive controller in AHCI mode and use mdraid.

That may be so on LKML, but others don't seem to be so well-informed.

--
Timothy Normand Miller
http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~millerti

  Last update: 2008-07-07 13:33    [W:0.064 / U:0.232 seconds]