SubjectRe: kmap_atomic_pfn for PCI BAR access?
On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 16:53:54 +1000
Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> On Thursday 26 June 2008 13:11, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
> > Dave Airlie wrote:
>
> > > doing tlb flush for iounmap is slow as all hell if you do it a
> > > lot, and we can't afford to mmap the whole aperture it can 1GB.
> >
> > Maybe Nick's vmap reimplementation would help here. It effectively
> > allows you to map stuff into the vmalloc space, and do lazy tlb
> > flushes to mitigate the cost of map/unmap. He posted the patches
> > week or so ago.
>
> Yeah, it can _really_ help. I'd posted some performance numbers with
> the patch which might prompt you to take another look at ioremap.
>
> One thing I still haven't implemented in that patch are CPU-local
> mappings (which only require a local flush to flush)... I found that
> after the improvements I did implement, they didn't help much for
> my workloads, so I suspect you might find the same thing...

just to complicate things with ioremap() you have to deal with the
various caching-coherency requirements.. making things lazy and per CPU
complicates that a ton (and I suspect won't actually make things
cheaper)

--
If you want to reach me at my work email, use arjan@linux.intel.com
visit http://www.lesswatts.org

  Last update: 2008-07-07 09:09    [W:0.226 / U:0.072 seconds]