    SubjectRe: Battery life difference
    On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 16:17:01 +0300
    "Felipe Balbi" <felipebalbi@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I bought two x61s for testing purposes. One of them is running
    > windows XP and the other one is running clean ubuntu 8.04 with kernel
    > 2.6.24-19. The problem is that on windows that battery lasts around
    > 3h30min and with linux 1h30min.
    >
    > 2 hours is a huge difference. Here's the scenario:
    >
    > . x61s with windows xp
    > wifi on but not connected to any network, bluetooth on,
    > display is in the less brighten state.
    >
    > . x61s with ubuntu 8.04
    > all radios off (modules removed and hw switch off),

    Which wireless is this? Same for graphics

    > Anyways, do we reach D2/D3 states anywhere ? I mean without
    > context save/restore we can't reach D3 and almost no D2 as well.

    these don't give you all that much nowadays

    > Any comments ?

    There's a few things you can do to help stuff along; make sure you're
    using AHCI.

    Also take a look at
    http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-kernel/2008/5/8/1771024 because
    these patches save like 0.75W in our lab.

    To be honest, I'm surprised at your results; in our testing (with a
    different distro though) we don't see such a difference and Linux is
    doing rather well.

    --
    If you want to reach me at my work email, use arjan@linux.intel.com
    visit http://www.lesswatts.org

      Last update: 2008-07-05 17:27    [W:0.030 / U:457.736 seconds]