SubjectRe: 463 kernel developers missing!
On 30-07-08 09:24, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> Whether Jon's patch is a good idea one might discuss

<discussion>it is not</discussion>

> but as soon as someone puts an email address into a kernel commit
> Google will anyway find it:

It will and note this is not a privacy issue "as such" at least for me
(for rmk rewriting addresses is a privacy issue, directly or via law,
and whether or not needed in this specific example or not)

Google find lots of things, most of which do not end up at the top of
the search results. This address I'm now posting with is definitely
public (or I wouldn't be posting with it) but given that it shouldn't
even exist at the moment I have been careful for some time to put a
relay address into anything which I intend to be long lived.

Since outside its non-existence it's the best address I have available I
do still use it though. This is not a problem, since all mailing list
archives go to great trouble to obscure addresses anyway and my gmail
address will feature as the "most public" from it being in _content_.
Sometimes others use this address in content as well but given that they
can't be expected to know about any of my peculiar mail fetishes I'm not
going to whine about it and it's not a practical problem anyway.

Then Jon comes along, puts _all_ addresses in content inside a hugely
publicized, widely web-indexed tree and fucks it up.

Anyways... yesterday I had to turn the fan on my monitor to keep it from
damage in this bloody furnace while today it's some 5 degrees cooler and
the fan's aimed at me again so I'll stop cursing and shouting now. But
still a damn bad idea.

Rene.

  Last update: 2008-07-30 14:43    [W:0.144 / U:0.928 seconds]