SubjectRe: [patch 0/9] x86, xsave: xsave/xrstor support

* H. Peter Anvin <hpa@zytor.com> wrote:

>> hpa, these patches just apply fine to tip/master. Can you please
>> arrange the tip/x86/xsave tree accordingly? or do I need to do
>> something else to smooth this process?
>
> This is awkward, since that means this is "derived topic". Most of
> the changes are orthogonal and relatively trivial to fix up at merge
> time, so I would prefer to keep them separate.

Well, in this case the conflicts seem to be quite heavy, so i'd suggest
to use the method we have used for x86/x2apic and for xen-64bit:

Merge the affected topics into tip/x86/core. Then merge x86/core into
x86/xsave, and put the xsave patches ontop of that base.

This way x86/xsave is a 'derived' topic and optional until it's proven,
but one that is still mergable once all the dependent topics go
upstream. We'd only have to rebase it in the (unlikely) event of there
being some major problem with any of the topics merged into x86/core.

ok?

Ingo

  Last update: 2008-07-30 12:07    [W:0.144 / U:0.132 seconds]