    SubjectRe: Intel Microcode loader, tg3 driver, and the -rc8-mmotd New World Order firmware...
    On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 10:23:48 BST, David Woodhouse said:

    > The recent firmware changes haven't modified this. The important change
    > seems to have been here (in 2006):

    Aha. That's the part I was missing. :)

    From the changelog for that commit, Shaohua Li wrote:

    "with the changes, we should put all intel-ucode/xx-xx-xx microcode files
    into the firmware dir (I had a tool to split previous big data file into
    small one and later we will release new style data file). The init script
    should be changed to ..."

    And apparently I got stuck between the unreleased tool to split the file,
    and the release of the new style data file.

    Anyhow, it appears the firmware_request() was just a bullet loaded in the
    chamber waiting for me to pull the trigger 2 years later by setting

    The behavior is explained, and presumably Intel will eventually release
    a method of getting the new-format bits, and all will be right with the
    world (or at least this part of it.. ;)
      Last update: 2008-07-03 14:39    [W:0.019 / U:7.996 seconds]