    SubjectRe: Intel Microcode loader, tg3 driver, and the -rc8-mmotd New World Order firmware...
    On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 10:23:48 BST, David Woodhouse said:

    > The recent firmware changes haven't modified this. The important change
    > seems to have been here (in 2006):
    >
    > http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=a30a6a2c

    Aha. That's the part I was missing. :)

    From the changelog for that commit, Shaohua Li wrote:

    "with the changes, we should put all intel-ucode/xx-xx-xx microcode files
    into the firmware dir (I had a tool to split previous big data file into
    small one and later we will release new style data file). The init script
    should be changed to ..."

    And apparently I got stuck between the unreleased tool to split the file,
    and the release of the new style data file.

    Anyhow, it appears the firmware_request() was just a bullet loaded in the
    chamber waiting for me to pull the trigger 2 years later by setting
    CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=n :)

    The behavior is explained, and presumably Intel will eventually release
    a method of getting the new-format bits, and all will be right with the
    world (or at least this part of it.. ;)

      Last update: 2008-07-03 14:39    [W:0.025 / U:0.028 seconds]