SubjectRe: Subtle but oops causing problem with class_device->device conversion
On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 12:42 -0500, James Bottomley wrote:
> It's taken me a while to track this down. Basically there's an oops in
> scsi_transport_spi that's directly caused by this.
>
> What happened is that you made all class devices become real devices and
> be parented to devices they were formerly allied to through the class
> device dev pointer. This means that effectively you expanded the child
> list of every device to include not only its real children but also its
> class devices.
>
> This breaks in device_for_each_child *if* the routine in the iterator
> doesn't perform checks on the devices it gets back (scsi_transport_spi
> was assuming that every device it got was embedded in a struct
> scsi_device because they're the only logical children of a scsi_target).
>
> I can fix the SCSI breakage, but the whole tree will need auditing to
> check that nothing else is using this assumption.

I guess it's caused by:
[SCSI] add scsi_host and scsi_target to scsi_bus

This patch implements scsi_host and scsi_target device types
and adds both to the scsi_bus.
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=b0ed43360fdca227048d88a08290365cb681c1a8

and not by the re-parenting, so it should be limited to SCSI, right?

Thanks,
Kay

  Last update: 2008-07-29 20:01    [W:0.034 / U:0.100 seconds]