SubjectRe: 463 kernel developers missing!
On 7/28/08, Theodore Tso <tytso@mit.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 10:01:06PM -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:
> > I should also point out that external information (Google) was needed
> > to identify several hundred names, there was insufficient information
> > in the log or kernel source. If we have to reconstruct this mapping
> > ten years from now for some random lawsuit, the external information
> > may not be there.
>

> Jon,
>
> The reality is ten years from now, many e-mail addresses won't
> be accurate anyway. We will have to track people down by hand, if it
> ever comes down to that. The signed-off-by needs to be enough so we
> can track down someone (very likely only a few set of people); via a
> manual method is quite acceptable. I don't think it is really
> necessary to try force fit the signed-off-by just so we can collect
> better mode.

The kernel already has a mailmap file, but it is not complete. So I
should just take this work that makes the mailmap file a lot better
and throw it away? The policy is that the log file should be messed up
enough so that a computer can't process it and that a human can
recover it only with several day's effort? That's a really hard line
to define and we'll probably lose the identity of a bunch of
contributors. I'll follow up with a patch that deletes the current
.mailmap

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@gmail.com

  Last update: 2008-07-29 05:25    [W:0.087 / U:0.668 seconds]