    SubjectRe: [spi-devel-general] [Patch 0/4] IndustrialIO subsystem (ADCs, accelerometers etc)
    On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 06:00:29PM +0100, Jonathan Cameron wrote:
    > Dear All,
    > The need for an industrialio subsystem was discussed in

    The name is really bad, this sounds like something for doing large
    scale industrial process control.

    > Firstly thanks to all the people who have contributed to the discussion
    > of this in the past.
    > In brief the intention is provide a kernel subsystem directed towards the
    > handling on sensors (and later related output devices) such as ADC's,
    > accelerometers and many others.

    We've already got an perfectly good hwmon framework, do we really need
    to do this again?

    > Key features of the subsystem include:
    > * Provision of sysfs access for direct reading from devices (similar to hwmon
    > but without the buffering / update rate restrictions)
    > * Provision of chrdevs through which events may be passed to userspace in a
    > similar fashion to the input subsystem. These events may be anything from
    > hardware thresholds set on the sensor itself to sw / hw ring buffer event
    > notifications (50% full etc).
    > * Provision of access via chrdevs to hardware ring buffers on devices that
    > provide them.
    > * Software ring buffer support to allow semi regular capture of data form the
    > device. Typically this will be driven from either datardy events, or from
    > a periodic timer interrupt (to this end a very simple wrapper for periodic
    > RTC's is included. This will move to more generic timer interfaces as and when
    > they become available. For now available rtc's must be registered with the
    > subsystem via the industrialio_register_ptimer function form within a board
    > init.
    > * A set of sample drivers illustrating the main 'classes' of device. By classes
    > I really mean devices that are interfaced with in a similar way.
    > The subsystem is now in a functional state with a small set of drivers:
    > Max1363 (supports numerous Maxim i2c ADC's) (tested with max1363 and max1238 chips)
    > - Uses a periodic timer to provide ring buffer mode.
    > - All reads form these devices are scan modes so direct single element access
    > is not provided.
    > - Monitor mode on max1363 is not yet supported (need to do a bit debugging of
    > the board I have so as to be able to test this).
    > ST LIS3L02DQ - SPI accelerometer.
    > - Uses a datardy interrupt to driver a software ring buffer.
    > - Most functionality of this device is supported.
    > VTI SCA3000 (tested with an e05)
    > - Hardware ring buffer.
    > More drivers in preparation.
    > Next focus will be on cleaning up / implementing a more generic timer framework
    > and allowing the system to partly run if not all dependencies are met
    > (particularly availability of timers).
    > An initial set of patches will be attached to this thread shortly.

    Q: What's a light-year?
    A: One-third less calories than a regular year.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-07-23 21:21    [W:0.026 / U:3.440 seconds]