SubjectRe: [patch 4/4] KVM-trace port to tracepoints
* Avi Kivity (avi@qumranet.com) wrote:
> Peter Zijlstra wrote:

>>> Tracepoints aren't stable; they are artefacts of the implementation.
>>>

>> Which IMHO makes it unsuitable for trace_mark() as that will be exported
>> to user-space, and every time you change your tracepoints you'll change
>> user visible things - not nice.
>>

> They are used for debugging (mostly performance related), so changes are
> expected.
>
> What uses of trace_mark() depend on a stable interface? blktrace?

Actually, LTTng likes to have the { marker name, field name } pairs
unchanged for the markers it looks for, but that's about it. If a
userspace analysis plugin fails to see a marker (because it is disabled
or changed), it just does not apply its particular analysis on the
trace.

Since the markers and marker types are self-described in the trace,
userspace can detect any change the the present markers, so there is no
need to rely on "version numbers" because we are able to proceed to a
complete marker list verification (names, field names, types) before
starting the trace analysis.

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers

  Last update: 2008-07-23 15:23    [W:0.091 / U:0.708 seconds]