SubjectRe: pata_it821x completely broken
Date
On Tuesday 22 July 2008 20:10:22 Alan Cox wrote:
> > New patch below, this time with DMA forced on RAID volumes - as my
> > firmware does not identify the RAID arrays as DMA capable :(
>
> The underlying problem is that the newer libata rewrites the dev->id data
> in ways that we can't then patch up. I've actually been hacking on this a
> bit today. The existing it821x code was working fine and it does the
> needed patching, it just needs to do it in a different place, and that in
> turn needs a new ap->ops->read_id() method so it can be hooked.

I can test the code once it's done.
I just moved my / to the RAID1 provided by IT8212. The controller has a great
feature that allows converting a drive between RAID1/standalone without data
loss (haven't seen anything like this yet). Also the background rebuild is
nice (as seen on much more expensive RAID controllers), it's running as I'm
typing this.

> On the bright side that also allows us to implement a pata_mfm/rll
> driver at last.

I used to have an old drive that was something like that - 5.25" Seagate 40MB
drive. I sold it including the controller a couple of years ago (it was still
working) so no testing fun for me.

--
Ondrej Zary

  Last update: 2008-07-22 21:19    [W:0.102 / U:0.196 seconds]