SubjectRe: PCI: MSI interrupts masked using prohibited method
On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 11:33:10 +0100
David Vrabel <david.vrabel@csr.com> wrote:

> Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> >
> > I think David's original patch (just declining to mask the
> > interrupt) is the best approach to take. Perhaps architectures
> > with saner interrupt hardware would like to try the approach I've
> > mentioned here.
> >
> > I don't like the comment in http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/6/27/199 as
> > it's not prohibited ... just a bad idea. How about this patch?
>
> The PCI specification is quite clear that it's prohibited. The
> problem also is more severe than simply having spurious interrupts --
> with some devices if a line interrupt is generated (regardless of
> whether it ends up on the bus) then no more interrupts are generated.
>
> I also think that the change requires a comment in the code. It odd
> to have a mask function that doesn't really mask so a comment is
> necessary to explain why this is.
>
> Please apply this instead.
>
> David

This breaks the setting of SMP affinity for MSI interrupts :-(
With the patch, writes to /proc/irq/<n>/smp_affinity are ignored for an
MSI interrupt.

Michal

  Last update: 2008-07-22 15:59    [W:0.090 / U:0.200 seconds]