    SubjectRe: [bug, netconsole, SLUB] BUG skbuff_head_cache: Poison overwritten
    On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 12:50 PM, Ingo Molnar <> wrote:
    > the problem is, most of the crashes dont come with any usable dump. This
    > is a laptop so netconsole is the only reliable route out - and if
    > something in networking crashes chances are that it hoses netconsole
    > before it can get anything out.
    > Another thing is that i'm activating netconsole on this box via a kernel
    > boot line and from within a bzImage (to get it activated as early as
    > possible) - maybe that's a tad too early for certain initialization
    > sequences?
    > I could try run tests with netconsole deactivated, if you think that's a
    > worthwile line of probing this problem. (although that would make me do
    > blind tests in essence - having kernel log output is really essential.)

    How about posting your custom patches for public review? :-D

    (There was recently an odd case of kzalloc() succeeding even though it
    was called before the slab caches were initialized -- and it only
    generated a warning about irqs-on happening too early. I just mean to
    say that it _can_ happen. On another machine, it crashed
    spectacularly. I guess you're not enabling the netconsole before slab
    allocator is up?)

    "The animistic metaphor of the bug that maliciously sneaked in while
    the programmer was not looking is intellectually dishonest as it
    disguises that the error is the programmer's own creation."
    -- E. W. Dijkstra, EWD1036

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-07-21 13:07    [W:0.030 / U:106.992 seconds]