    SubjectRe: linux-next: Tree for July 18: warning at kernel/lockdep.c:2068 trace_hardirqs_on_caller
    * Dave Hansen <> [2008-07-20 02:01]:
    > It is possible that it could run later. But, I do know that there are
    > at least a couple of these tables (on various arches) that we toss out
    > of memory or become unavailable later in boot.
    > I do this this:
    > sysfs: add /sys/firmware/memmap
    > is really being done at the wrong level.

    I posted that patches multiple times. They were reviewed by the kdump
    maintainer and by the kexec maintainer. Why didn't you mention it
    *there* that this is the wrong way?

    > I don't, for instance, see
    > *any* reference to memory hotplug in these patches.

    Right. The idea was to add memory hotplugging later. I decided to
    create the patch series, get some review, and then fix the rest of the
    systems that use memory hot-plugging. So, do you see a problem (in
    theory) to add memory and remove memory in that sysfs interface? Of
    course the code must be extended to handle modifications in the linked
    list afterwards. Yes, I should have made that extension just after the
    patch went into tip. Unfortunately, I didn't have time so far.

    > Secondly, why don't we just modify the existing /sys/devices/system/memory

    Because I didn't know that interface. And because I don't see that
    interface on my two systems that I just checked. i386 and x86-64. What
    do I have to do to enable that interface?

    Does that interface export the *used* memory or just export the memory
    that is available? Because exactly that was the reason why I made that
    modification -- because kexec needs to know the *available* memory even
    if that memory is disabled via 'memmap' or 'mem' command line

    Bernhard Walle, SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Architecture Development

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-07-20 15:07    [W:0.021 / U:8.824 seconds]