    SubjectRe: [patch 0/3] fastboot patches series 1

    * Arjan van de Ven <arjan@infradead.org> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > this 3 patch series introduces the concept of "asynchronous initcalls".
    > This is a new initcall level (6a) that has the following semantics:
    > 1) Level 6a gets run asynchronously from the regular "driver" initcalls
    > 2) Level 6a starts after level 5 (fs_initcall).
    > 3) Within the 6a category, the initcalls are processed sequentially;
    > there is no parallelism between them. The parallelism is more
    > like a bottom halve than it is like a softirq this way.
    > This is a nice property since it leads to predictable device ordering
    > while being able to move various pieces out of the critical boot path
    > 4) The kernel will synchronize at the end of all initcalls to insure
    > that we don't free initmem until all this is done (trust me, we need
    > this)
    >
    > With these 3 patches I managed to shave off 0.4 seconds off my kernel
    > boot (this may sound little, but it's a reduction from 1.9 seconds to
    > a little under 1.5 seconds, which is significant both compared to the
    > kernel boot time as well as the full distro boot time on this box)

    nice idea - and i like the way it's done gradually. Most previous
    attempts at "parallel bootup" had the fundamental problem if trying to
    do too much at once.

    I've created a tip/fastboot experimental/test topic for this and pushed
    it out. (see the URI below)

    It's not integrated into tip/master yet - is the problem reported by
    Simon Arlott understood?

    Ingo

    git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tip/linux-2.6-tip.git fastboot

    Arjan van de Ven (3):
    fastboot: create a "asynchronous" initlevel
    fastboot: turn the USB hostcontroller initcalls into async initcalls
    fastboot: convert a few non-critical ACPI drivers to async initcalls

      Last update: 2008-07-20 10:33    [W:0.030 / U:123.428 seconds]