    SubjectRe: [patch 3/4] fastboot: make the raid autodetect code wait for all devices to init
    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008, Neil Brown wrote:

    > I must say that I think this is pretty horrible. But then it is a
    > pretty horrible problem and I don't think there is a clean solution.
    > If md in a module, this code won't run so there will be no change. If
    > md is compiled in, this code will silently slow down boot even if
    > there are no raid arrays to assemble. I think the "silently" is a
    > problem. I'm not looking forward to "my computer boots slower if I
    > compile md into the kernel" reports on linux-raid@vger.
    > What would you think of
    > if (driver_probe_done() != 0) {
    > printk("md: Waiting for all devices to be available before autodetect\n"
    > "md: If you don't boot off raid, use raid=noautodetect\n");
    > do
    > msleep(100);
    > while (driver_probe_done() != 0);
    > }
    > ??

    even if you don't boot off of raid, if the boot process will mount a raid
    that's autodetected this will be a problem. so I think the message needs
    to allow for this.

    David Lang

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-07-21 01:15    [W:0.041 / U:29.776 seconds]