SubjectRe: mmap'ed memory in core files ?
On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 02:24:59PM +0200, Stefan Richter wrote:

> This shouldn't be a problem to you as far as I understand. I suppose
> "memory mapped I/O pages" means registers of PCI devices, mapped into the
> memory address space.
>
> The DMA buffer which you would like to get included in the core file is
> normal RAM (I suppose: allocated by the kernel in the kernel's virtual
> address space, mapped into the application client's address space by
> mmap(), and also mapped into the FireWire controller's local bus address
> space for it to write received data into).

I agree with your analysis, but the sentence takes as exemple 'frame buffer'
which I don't think are registers. I have tested with a video1394 client,
and I do not get the mmapped video memory in the core file, even with
/proc/PID/coredump_filter set to 0xf. So, while I agree it seems technically
feasible, it does not seem to be currently implemented :(

Philippe

  Last update: 2008-07-02 15:19    [W:0.403 / U:0.028 seconds]