    SubjectRe: Is sysfs the right place to get cache and CPU topology info?
    Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org> writes:

    > sysfs is part of the kernel ABI. We should design our interfaces there
    > as carefully as we design any others.

    The basic problem is that sysfs exports an internal kernel object model
    and these tend to change. To really make it stable would require
    splitting it into internal and presented interface. I would be all
    for it, but it doesn't seem realistic to me currently. If we cannot
    even get basic interfaces like the syscall capability stable how would
    you expect to stabilize the complete kobjects?

    And the specific problem with the x86 cache sysfs interface is that it's so
    complicated that no human can really read it directly. This means to
    actually use it you need some kind of frontend (i have a cheesy
    lscache script for this). I expect that eventually we'll have a standard
    tool for this. Right now most people still rely on /proc/cpuinfo
    output (which is actually human readable!), but it only shows simple
    cache topologies (L2 only) and with L3 and more complicated ones
    being more wide spread that doesn't cut it anymore. So I expect
    eventually utils-linux will grow a standard lscache program for this.
    And I expect people will eventually just use the output frontend instead of
    sysfs.

    -Andi

      Last update: 2008-07-02 13:17    [W:0.019 / U:30.216 seconds]