SubjectRe: [Libcg-devel] [RFC] How to handle the rules engine for cgroups
On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 10:37:17PM +0530, Sudhir Kumar wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 09:47:36AM -0400, Vivek Goyal wrote:

> > > I think a wrapper (move to right group and calls exec) will run by user, not by admin.
> > > In explicit placement, user knows what a type of application he/she launch.
> > >
> > > /mnt/cgroup
> > > | |
> > > gid1 gid2
> > > | | | |
> > > uid1 uid2 uid3 uid4
> > > | |
> > > proj1 proj2
> > >

> > This is the easy to handle situation and I am hoping it will work in many
> > of the cases.
>
> This solution seems ok but this looks only one part of the storey. Here
> the top level hierarchy is again user based(gid/uid). What if admin
> wants to manage the system resources per application basis? Say a big
> server in a university is being shared by everyone in the university for
> only 3 application
> 1. http server
> 2. browsing
> 3. computing
> In case the admin wants the system to be always available for computing,
> how should he utilize cgroups for managing the server resources among
> these applications ?
> Isn't such scenarios on the priority now?

We only have FS permissions to play around with. Therefore any hierarchy
we come up with will be uid/gid based. Such scenarios will be handled by
the administrator by ensuring the correct permissions are set for the
cgroup.

> > Currently I am writting a patch for libcg which allows querying the
> > destination cgroup based on uid/gid and libcg will also migrate the
> > application there. I am also writing a pam plugin which will move
> > all the login sessions to respective cgroup (as mentioned by rule file).
> > Will also modify "init" so that all the system services to into cgroup
> > belonging to root.
> >
> > Once user is logged in and running into his resource group, he can manage
> > further subgroups at his own based on his application requirements (as you
> > mentioned proj1 and proj2 here).
> >
> > > [uid1/gid1]% newtask.sh proj1app
> > > ... proj1app run under /mnt/cgroup/gid1/uid1
> > >

> > Yes, so if a user does not specifically launch an application targetted
> > for a particular cgroup, then it will run into default group for that
> > user (as specified by rule file). In this case under /mnt/cgroup/gid1/uid1.
> So in this user based approach if admin wants to run 4 major
> applications each one requiring say 15% cpu he needs to create 4
> different gids? Creation of a user account just for running an
> application does not look very flexible to me.

A lot of daemons run as specific users. Also its not a good idea to run
daemons/servers as root users. They should run as users who have limited
privileges. With such a model in place, Vivek's comments make sense and
might be the right way to go ahead.

Thanks,
--
regards,
Dhaval

  Last update: 2008-07-18 10:15    [W:0.107 / U:0.380 seconds]