    SubjectRe: 2.6.26-rc9-git9 doesn't boot on Macintel
    On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 3:58 AM, Jack Howarth <howarth@bromo.msbb.uc.edu> wrote:
    > Justin,
    > At the moment I am not really certain what the problem is.
    > I have heard that Macintel machines (because of EFI) can't boot
    > without resorting to MMCONFIG. If that is true, the problem I
    > am seeing would appear to start with the fact that the boot
    > proceeds with "Not using MMCONFIG". I plan on trying to add
    > some printk statements in arch/x86/pci/mmconfig-shared.c to
    > puzzle out why this is failing. The code in question is...
    >

    > if (!early)
    > printk(KERN_ERR "PCI: BIOS Bug: MCFG area at %Lx is not"
    > " reserved in ACPI motherboard resources\n",
    > cfg->address);
    > /* Don't try to do this check unless configuration
    > type 1 is available. how about type 2 ?*/
    > if (raw_pci_ops && e820_all_mapped(cfg->address,
    > cfg->address + size - 1,
    > E820_RESERVED)) {
    > printk(KERN_NOTICE
    > "PCI: MCFG area at %Lx reserved in E820\n",
    > cfg->address);
    > valid = 1;
    > }
    >
    > if (!valid)
    > goto reject;
    > }
    >
    > return;
    >
    > reject:
    > printk(KERN_ERR "PCI: Not using MMCONFIG.\n");
    > pci_mmcfg_arch_free();
    > kfree(pci_mmcfg_config);
    > pci_mmcfg_config = NULL;
    > pci_mmcfg_config_num = 0;
    > }
    >
    > I've verified that test for raw_pci_ops is passing but it appears
    > that the e820_all_mapped() test is failing (at least on
    > my machine).
    > Jack
    >
    > On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 03:05:23AM +0000, Justin Mattock wrote:
    >> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 1:24 AM, Jack Howarth <howarth@bromo.msbb.uc.edu> wrote:
    >> > Justin,
    >> > You also download the x86_64 iso instead from...
    >> >
    >> > http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/development/x86_64/os/images/
    >> >
    >> > Both should give you the same kernel boot freeze that I am
    >> > seeing (assuming that the kernel boots up with the message
    >> > "Not using MMCONFIG". At this point I am just trying to find
    >> > out if anyone else can reproduce this issue on a MacBook Pro
    >> > (second generation). Otherwise I am going to be out of luck
    >> > when distros switch to 2.6.26.
    >> > Jack
    >> > ps I am currently guessing that thet actual freeze is
    >> > occuring in the code that is executed right after...
    >> >
    >> > pci 0000:00:1f.0: quirk: region 0400-047f claimed by ICH6 ACPI/GPIO/TCO
    >> > pci 0000:00:1f.0: quirk: region 0500-053f claimed by ICH6 GPIO
    >> >
    >> > but before...
    >> >
    >> > PCI: Transparent bridge - 0000:00:1e.0
    >> >
    >> > ...which never appears here under 2.6.26.

    >> I have not yet tried the .iso's yet.
    >> (busy with other things at the moment),
    >> from what you're telling me it seems they must have left out
    >> something in the .config. "Shit" this means you can't even load the .iso itself
> [...]

    Hello;
    One of my weaknesses right now is pulling code out of my ass
    (maybe in a few years from now), but from what you are showing me
    This is what is causing the NULL(if that's right to say)

    if (!valid)
    goto reject;
    So the question is, is how to have a valid
    "something" to prevent going to NULL
    maybe a boot param i.g. acpi_osi=Darwin,
    or another option to make a "good" !valid
    So you don't: goto reject;

    Or take the whole reject mechanism out
    just so you can boot up, and then asses the situation from there.
    regards;

    --
    Justin P. Mattock