    SubjectRe: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel, use it in more drivers.
    On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 08:43:07PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > >
    > >On Wed, 16 Jul 2008, Frans Pop wrote:
    > >>Where did you get this strange notion that mkinitrd is the _only_ (your
    > >>emphasis) thing people use?
    > >
    > >Heh. Maybe from the fact that I don't personally use modules or initrd at
    > >all, and have no interest in doing so ;)
    > >
    > >Ok, so people use other things. Grr. I guess we can't just require updated
    > >tools, because we don't know what the tools are.
    >
    > Yes, that's part of the problem :/
    >
    > Everybody seems to love rolling their own stuff in this area, partly
    > necessitated I suppose by the wide variety of ways to boot on various
    > platforms.

    Exactly. To give you an idea, I have a lot of servers running on a
    "firmware" which consists in two parts :
    - a bzImage containing an initramfs with modules and a few scripts
    - an initrd which is in fact the rootfs

    When the kernel boots, it mounts the initrd, does a pivot_root and mounts
    its modules into /boot/$(uname -r). All my kernels run modules from /boot
    and not from /lib/modules, because it makes them more convenient to add
    and remove. So /lib/modules is just a symlink to /boot.

    The above process is very convenient, as it is compatible with a lot of
    boot methods : hard disk, CDROM, USB stick, PXE, etc...

    And moreover, I can have multiple kernels with only one rootfs (SMP, etc).
    Introducing firmware there would mean a major thinking and rework of the
    build (and possibly boot) process. The least invasive would probably be
    to stuff them next to the modules in $(uname -r)/firmware, but even then,
    it will take a lot of time to switch to a new system.

    And judging from what I see around, I'm far from being the only one not
    using mkinitrd.

    Willy

      Last update: 2008-07-16 06:55    [W:0.020 / U:67.028 seconds]