    SubjectRe: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel, use it in more drivers.
    From
    From: David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org>
    Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 14:24:21 -0700

    > Kernel 2.6.15 with ancient userland. You update to 2.6.16, which
    > includes commit 5433383e ('convert qla2xxx to request_firmware()').
    >
    > Same problem?

    For the record I did get burnt by that one and I did make a huge stink
    about it.

    I used to be able to avoid initrd entirely on every single one of my
    boxes, even my machines with qla2xxx based root filesystems, and that
    changeset basically meant the end of that.

    I simply don't do much hacking on that particular machine any more,
    it's not worth the pain just to get a kernel that boots on it.

    Yes, I know I can do stupid things like use the dist's initrd image
    and just ignore the module version warnings, which is what Linus
    happens to do, but that's just too gross for my tastes.

      Last update: 2008-07-15 23:49    [W:0.020 / U:35.172 seconds]