    SubjectRe: From 2.4 to 2.6 to 2.7?
    On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 12:31 AM, Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu> wrote:

    >> >No. But the even/odd thing is still so fresh in peoples memory (despite us
    >> >not having used it for years), and I think some projects aped us on it, so
    >> >if I didn't change the numbering setup, but just wanted to reset the minor
    >> >number, I'd probably jump from 2.6 to 2.8 just for historical reasons.
    >> >
    >> >But I could also see the second number as being the "year", and 2008 would
    >> >get 2.8, and then next year I'd make the first release of 2009 be 2.9.1
    >> >(and probably avoid the ".0" just because it again has the connotations of
    >> >a "big new untested release", which is not true in a date-based numbering
    >> >scheme). And then 2010 would be 3.0.1 etc..
    >>
    >> Ok, I'll jump in.
    >>
    >> I don't have strong feelings either, but I do have comments
    >>
    >> 1. for the historical reasons you allude to above going to a completely
    >> different numbering system would be a nice thing
    >>
    >> 2. I do like involving the year, but I think 2008/2009/2010 are much
    >> clearer then 2.8/2.9/3.0 let people shorten it verbally, but still realize
    >> that it's a full year being referred to.
    >>
    >> 3. avoid using the month of the release (which ubuntu does), first you
    >> aren't going to predict the month of relese ahead of time (so what will
    >> the -rc's be called, the year is fairly clear and it's not _that_ bad if
    >> 2008.4 happens to come out in Jan 2009). also too many people don't
    >> understand that 8.10 is between 8.9 and 8.11, not between 8.0 and 8.2
    >
    > That's probably why openbsd jumps from 3.9 to 4.0. I like such a numbering
    > too. It compacts 3 numbers into 2 (like we had before) but without any
    > major/minor notion. You just bump each new version by 0.1 at a somewhat
    > regular rate. Having the year and a sub-version is fine too, but I think
    > it adds unnecessary digits. Or maybe jump to 8.X for 2008, then 9.X in
    > 2009 and 10.X in 2010 ? That way, we have both the date and the simplicity.
    > And it's not like we really care about version 1000 in year 3000.
    >
    >> so my prefrence (mild as it is) goes to YYYY.r.s (r=release, s=stable)
    >
    > agreed, but with Y.r.s :-)
    Interesting idea but that would still get us to the 20.1.5 and that
    just seems really high, even if its based on year not on number of
    releases. Although I still wanted to know about the original change
    between 2.4 to 2.6 and what other then the version numbering prompted
    the change

    > Willy

    -Stoyan

      Last update: 2008-07-15 09:27    [W:0.031 / U:61.584 seconds]