    SubjectRe: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel, use it in more drivers.
    Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    >> Already started, in fact, since Linus said he would not reject it out of
    >> hands.
    >
    > Btw, I need to see it actually solve a real problem. As it is, I really
    > think you've just painted yourself into a corner where you can't just
    > admit that we can just load the firmware directly.

    Kernel 2.6.26. Older userland w/ initrd requirement, plus module w/
    compiled-in firmware.

    Simply dropping 2.6.27 into that situation will produce an unbootable
    system, since the firmware would not get copied into the initrd.

    That's not just a kernel hacker situation. Plenty of sites, even a few
    large Red Hat deployments, run newer kernels on a known-stable, older
    userland. RH does not actively support swap-in-your-own-kernel,
    preferring our own tested kernel, but new-kernel/older-userland is not
    uncommon.

    With upstream as it is today, there are just too many little ways the
    firmware can fail to follow the driver it once lived inside. And the
    consequences of failure are delayed (until next boot), silent (until
    next boot), and notable (may produce non-booting system, certainly a
    non-working driver).

    Jeff

      Last update: 2008-07-15 23:21    [W:2.210 / U:0.348 seconds]