    SubjectRe: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel, use it in more drivers.
    Hi Frans,

    > > On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    > >> IMO the newly added /inability/ to build firmware into kernel modules
    > >> is a clear regression.
    > >
    > > IMO you're being stupid.
    > >
    > > How about explainign why it makes any difference what-so-ever?
    > >
    > > If you can load the module, you can load the firmware. Claiming anything
    > > else is just _stupid_.
    > Sure, in theory it's that simple. Here's a concrete example that shows how
    > things are harder in practice.
    > I use the 'make deb-pkg' target (from scripts/package) to build my Debian
    > kernel packages from git. So that needs to be adapted to include
    > /lib/firmware. No real problem so far.
    > So then I build 2.6.27-rc1 and install it. Great.
    > You release 2.6.27-rc2 and I build it. Ouch! It fails to install, at least
    > if I want to install it _alongside_ 2.6.27-rc1 or other kernels (which I
    > do!). Why does it fail? Because dpkg's package management does not allow
    > one package to overwrite files already "owned" by another package.
    > So, how is this solved by Debian for already existing firmware packages?
    > Basically by making a separate package for each firmware file (or
    > driver). This works because there are not too many of them, but having a
    > huge number of tiny packages is a nightmare by itself.
    > But anyway, the dep-pkg target will have to be made smarter than it is now
    > if it's to deal with this [1]. And at least currently it is broken.
    > If I were able to compile firmware into the modules, the problem would be
    > solved in one go.
    > I don't know how the Debian kernel team plans to deal with this for distro
    > kernel packages. They probably _do_ want to keep them separate [2]. Maybe
    > by grouping firmware for really common drivers into
    > firmware-basic-drivers or something along those lines.
    > Cheers,
    > FJP
    > [1] Only quick solution I see is to have it install the firmware in a
    > versioned directory and have the postinst copy things from there to
    > /lib/firmware.

    using /lib/firmware/`uname -r`/ is actually not a bad idea. You only
    have to fix udev to actually include this in the list of directories to
    look for firmware files. Also Ubuntu is already doing this.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-07-15 21:23    [W:0.023 / U:2.084 seconds]