    SubjectRe: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel, use it in more drivers.
    Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    >> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
    >>> And this thread would have been shorter, even. I hope someone decides to
    >>> write that support instead of complaining ;-)
    >> I've volunteered -- but if Linus and David will reject my code out of hand,
    >> there is not much point in writing it.
    > Quite frankly, I don't think it's something to reject out of hand, but it
    > does sound pretty damn stupid.
    > Why compile them into the module, when that's just the _inflexible_ model?

    Because it works today.

    Because that is what people and their scripts expect, today.

    Because people should not be forced to fix all their firmware-related
    breakage immediately, just to boot 2.6.27.

    > I'm not seeing why you cannot accept change.

    It is highly feasible to do the change without breaking stuff and
    removing choice.

    Beer can be great tasting AND less filling.

     \ /
      Last update: 2008-07-15 20:59    [W:0.020 / U:6.852 seconds]