    SubjectRe: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel, use it in more drivers.
    Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Frans Pop wrote:
    >> If I were able to compile firmware into the modules, the problem would be
    >> solved in one go.
    >
    > And this thread would have been shorter, even. I hope someone decides to
    > write that support instead of complaining ;-)

    I've volunteered -- but if Linus and David will reject my code out of
    hand, there is not much point in writing it.

    >> [2] As one of the developers for Debian Installer I'm not looking forward
    >> to the complications that is going to cause for us and users.
    >
    > That was my point. These firmware loading changes are good, but there is a
    > lot of crap missing (most of it NOT in the kernel) before it can be exposed
    > to ordinary users.

    100% agreed.

    That's the point I've been trying to make all along.

    The end goal is good, but it's not at all ready for normal users.

    > And without firmware-in-the-module support (which is the ONLY scenario where
    > the entire userspace will not notice anything different), this WILL cause
    > problem to distros, we will need to scramble up and fix it all before we can
    > package 2.6.26. I don't know if this is a big problem, though. The work
    > will need to be done sooner or later anyway, and we should have enough time
    > to do so as long as we don't care for packaging the early -rc.

    Agreed.

    Jeff

      Last update: 2008-07-15 20:17    [W:4.045 / U:0.020 seconds]