SubjectRe: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel, use it in more drivers.
On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 09:41 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> So I think the _infrastructure_ is important. But the extreme "you
> have to split it off entirely" mindset is equally as stupid as the
> "you must compile it into the module" mindset.

I wouldn't necessarily argue that we _have_ to split it off, but I'd
certainly like our infrastructure to be mature enough that it could cope
with doing so.

I plan to make a 'linux-firmware-from-linus' git tree which is generated
automatically from yours by a script, much like the kernel-headers git
tree is, commit by commit with an automatic transform on the tree
objects.

Once we have that tree being created, we could pull from it into a
canonical 'linux-firmware' tree, and _that_ tree could also start to
include firmware belonging to companies who have said that we may
distribute their firmware, but _not_ as part of the Linux kernel.

We can see how that tree works out in practice, and how/whether people
start using it. And then maybe we'll be in a position to have a
_discussion_ about how best to ship the firmware. But for now it's
premature.

--
dwmw2

  Last update: 2008-07-15 19:39    [W:0.210 / U:0.028 seconds]