    SubjectRe: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel, use it in more drivers.
    Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > I call bullshit. You don't like the change - ok.

    SIGH. Wrong, wrong, wrong. I have always thought request_firmware()
    was a good idea, even if it decreased reliability. Because we need that
    ability and that API.

    The changes are good,

    They just don't need to break stuff.

    Which they do.

    > But stop making bogus
    > arguments about it.

    How many more real world examples of breakage do you need?

    * This breaks newer kernel / older userland
    * This breaks anywhere with a file list for modules' contents (ipkg
    kernel module packages)
    * This breaks driver disk build packages
    * This breaks for the oddball, not just me, who
    * This breaks for an unknown amount of people who have been assuming
    that their driver will always work when modprobe'd, even though they are
    completely unaware of its new firmware needs

    All these are cases in use today. Real users, Linus. Real distros.

    Jeff

    P.S. And as I stated in another email, I'm happy to help fix this
    regression.

      Last update: 2008-07-15 19:19    [W:0.023 / U:1.032 seconds]