    SubjectRe: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel, use it in more drivers.
    On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 08:23 +0200, Oliver Neukum wrote:
    > Am Dienstag 15 Juli 2008 08:03:15 schrieb David Woodhouse:
    > > Mostly it follows the documented recommendation, since most of the
    > > touched drivers are USB drivers and you end up re-enumerating and
    > > starting from scratch on resume anyway. And the remainder are so old
    > > that they don't have suspend/resume support anyway. Remember, we're only
    > > really updating the older drivers; newer drivers tend to use
    > > request_firmware() already, and have done for years.
    > As for USB that was before persistance. It now allows you to even
    > support a loss of power without reprobing, provided
    > a) the devices does not change IDs
    > b) you have firmware around when reset_resume() is called

    c) the driver in question actually _has_ a reset_resume() method

    The old, unloved drivers which I've touched as part of this patch set
    did not. In general the newer, loved drivers use request_firmware()