    SubjectRe: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel, use it in more drivers.
    Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    >> IMO the newly added /inability/ to build firmware into kernel modules is a
    >> clear regression.
    >
    > IMO you're being stupid.
    >
    > How about explainign why it makes any difference what-so-ever?
    >
    > If you can load the module, you can load the firmware. Claiming anything
    > else is just _stupid_.

    False -- for every router build script, driver disk build script, etc.
    that has not yet been updated to copy both a module and the
    /lib/firmware that the kernel tree is newly spitting out.

    And for every case, the breakage is completely silent, until one boots
    into a firmware-less image and loads drivers.

    > And if you cannot see the advantage of having _one_ interface to firmware
    > what to say.

    It's a great approach! As I've said over and over and over (and now
    over) again.

    My complaints are about --not breaking stuff--, not request_firmware().

    You have to look at the build process, second stage image builders,
    embedded system image creators, and other "hangers on" that do not look
    and behave like a mainstream Linux distro.

    It is a mistake to assume that all systems are _already_ prepared to
    install and digest new /lib/firmware files that the kernel build now
    spits out.

    And the consequences of that assumption is a non-working driver, often a
    non-booting system, not just a few quirks here and there.

    Jeff

      Last update: 2008-07-15 04:25    [W:4.129 / U:0.296 seconds]