SubjectRe: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel, use it in more drivers.
On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 17:06 -0700, david@lang.hm wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 16:41:19 -0700
> > Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> >> The firmware flamewars seem to have subsided lately. Is everyone
> >> happy with this now?
> >>

> > this seems to have left the contentious pieces out....
>
> almost, the one thing that this could have done would be to offer an
> option to bundle the firmware with the module. currently it offers the
> option to load the firmware at the same time as the module, not _quite_
> the same thing.

I see no real point in that. If you have userspace to load modules, then
you have userspace to load firmware.

We made 'make modules_install' install the firmware in /lib/firmware for
you at the same time as it installs the modules, to avoid problems if
people forgot to run 'make firmware_install'. That really ought to be
enough.

I know Jeff complained that it wasn't, and insisted that he _needed_ to
be able to scp a single .ko file around which contained both, and the
world was broken if he could not -- but I disagree with him.

But since I wanted this tree to be uncontentious and obviously the
correct thing to do, I've dropped the drivers/net changes for now
anyway.

It's odd that this request has suddenly come out of the blue when we've
been using request_firmware() from modules for years already.

> there was also the issue that was raised about how to handle firmware
> during suspend/resume. I don't remember seeing a happy solution to that
> one.

My b43 seems to work fine on suspend/resume, as do most other modern
drivers which use request_firmware(). There is certainly no fundamental,
generic problem with suspend/resume vs. the firmware loader.

If you see a problem with a specific driver which we've converted, do
please point it out.

--
dwmw2

  Last update: 2008-07-15 02:39    [W:0.185 / U:0.444 seconds]