    SubjectRe: [GIT *] Allow request_firmware() to be satisfied from in-kernel, use it in more drivers.

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, david@lang.hm wrote:

    > there was also the issue that was raised about how to handle firmware during
    > suspend/resume. I don't remember seeing a happy solution to that one.

    I don't understand why this even keeps coming up.

    The only reliable way to handle it is to load the firmware before the
    suspend happens - preferably by simply never unloading it in the first
    place.

    Anything else is fraught with problems.

    Stuff that expects to eject itself anyway(*) over a suspend event can
    obviously decide to throw it away and require a reload at resume time (by
    virtue of simply re-discovering the whole device!).

    Everybody else should just keep the firmware in memory in the driver.

    Does it waste some ram? Sure. Tough.

    Linus

    (*) eg some random USB device that really _really_ doesn't care and isn't
    expected to be involved in any filesystem access - say a webcam.

      Last update: 2008-07-15 02:37    [W:4.264 / U:0.000 seconds]